What’s the best way to explore a destination?
On foot, by car, on a horse, from a helicopter, or on the water?
The question, by default, is somewhat subjective, but it’s safe to say that it all depends on the location.
When it comes to an island, especially an island with unique and interesting coasts, then perhaps on/in the water is one of the best ways.
Way down South in the Caribbean, just North of Venezuela, lies a laid-back, colorful, and exciting little island called Curaçao.
Curaçao is nicely settled beneath the hurricane belt, and as such, offers beautifully in tact coral reefs, tepid waters, and calm weather patterns, typically. The ideal conditions for a little fun in the sea.
Granted, there are a variety of watersports and activities that enable visitors to explore the coastline, but today we will be focusing on exploring Curaçao via kayaks.
Seriously, you can see so many fascinating and magnificent parts of Curaçao’s coast from a kayak! Because we want you to fall in love with Curaçao just as much as we have, here are a few of our favorite kayak experiences on Curaçao:
- This beautiful bay is a spectacular kayaking spot, mostly because you can also snorkel here! This spot used to be an anchorage for ships, which means it provides just enough shelter for a variety of fish and marine life. This is a popular snorkel spot because there’s a sunken tugboat underwater. It’s easy enough to bring snorkel gear – just pack it with you in the kayak! You can also enjoy a picturesque view of an old manorial estate and Fort Beekenburg, a nicely preserved fort, originally built in 1703.
Spanish Water Lagoon
- The largest lagoon in Curaçao, Spanish Water Lagoon is perfect for kayaking. As you make your way around the lagoon, you’ll see beautiful mangrove forests, some of which are home to birds such as “Bubi tres Kolo” and “Garza Blanku.” You’ll also pass by some of the villas of the Spanish Waters, anchored sailboats, and other water sport go-ers.
Kayak Through the Mangroves
- Mangroves, which are a critical part of the coastal saltwater ecosystem, serve as a buffer between the sea and the land. They offer protection against erosion, manage the damage of hurricanes and tropical storms, and are home to many creatures – especially birds and fish. So, it’s truly incredible to get to see them up close, to catch glimpses of the mini-world inside the trees. There are many kayak operators that will expertly take you around the mangroves.
Kayak AND Power Snorkel
- If you’ve never tried power snorkeling, you’re in for a real treat. The tranquil, crystal clear waters of the South Coast of the island is where many of these tours are held. You’ll be outfitted with your own “state of the art” power scooter and snorkel equipment from your instructor. Once you’re set, your guide will take you the incredible views lying just below the water’s surface. The scooter enables you to glide along as you see sea fans, coral, and a plethora of marine life.
Kayak Fishing Adventure
- This adventure departs directly from the luxurious and tranquil Santa Barbara Resort. The guides will pack and provide all supplies – including lunch! You’ll be paddling away the day in the Spanish Waters, trying your hand at fishing. If you’re lucky, you might just catch a big barracuda, or even a tarpon. Kayaking and fishing, what more could a person want?
These are just a few of our favorite excursions, but there are plenty more to be had! Each piece of Curaçao’s coast is slightly different, and kayaking is an excellent way to explore them in-depth.
For the most luxurious home base during your stay, seek out Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort. Experts in all things Curaçao, the friendly team at Santa Barbara will guide you to the best tour operators and experiences possible! Feel free to contact the team with any questions about your vacation! Happy planning!